I’ve never seen red walnuts until I came across the Sanguinetti Family Farm’s Red Walnuts. Red Walnuts are no-gmo California grown raw walnuts with a mild flavor and a sparkly red color. Although Red Walnuts are beautiful on salad and baked goods, I used them to develop a delicious first course (primo piatto) : Gnocchi With Red Walnuts Cream Sauce.
I would recommend to pair this dish with Pigato or Vermentino wine.
A special thanks to Sanguinetti Red Walnuts
Photo by Ale Gambini
1.1 pound gnocchi
5 ounces Red Walnuts
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of ground nutmeg
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
4 Red Walnuts coarsely chopped, to sprinkle
parmesan cheese, to sprinkle
– Toast the red walnuts in a large plain skillet for a couple of minutes. Allow to cool.
– Grind the walnuts in a food processor or high speed blender, then add chopped garlic, chopped parsley, salt, nutmeg, heavy cream, melted butter and parmesan cheese. Whirr all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
– Place the red walnuts cream sauce onto a large serving bowl.
– Drop the gnocchi into a pot of boiling salted water and cook until they rise to the surface (usually 1 minute).
– Remove the gnocchi quickly with a skimmer, shake off the excess of water and place them over the red walnuts cream sauce.
– Stir gently until well blended.
– Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped walnuts and parmesan cheese.