- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- lemon zest from two lemons
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
1. Center a rack in the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cupcake tins by using liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Whisk together the milk and egg whites in a medium bowl.
4. Put the sugar and lemon zest in a mixer bowl or another large bowl and rub them together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and fragrant. Add the butter and, working with the paddle or whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat at medium speed for a full 3 minutes, until the butter and sugar are very light.
5. Beat in the extracts, then add one third of the flour mixture, still beating on medium speed. Beat in half of the milk-egg mixture, then beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients until incorporated.
6. Add the rest of the milk and eggs, beating until the batter is homogeneous, then add the last of the dry ingredients.
7. Finally, give the batter a good 2-minute beating to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed. Place the batter into the cupcake tins.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cupcakes are well risen and springy to the touch — a thin knife inserted into the centers should come out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Combine butter, sugar and salt and beat till well combined.
- Add lemon juice,zest and vanilla and continue to beat for another 3 to 5 minute or until creamy.